PSE recrute : « Post-doctoral fellow EURHISFIRM project »
JOB OFFER : POST-DOCTORAL FELLOW, EURHISFIRM PROJECT
- Position : Post-doctoral fellow
- Employment status : Full-time
- Supervisor : Angelo Riva, principal investigator of the EURHISFIRM project
- Indicative salary : 3 000 € per month gross salary with social security benefits
- Duration of the contract : until 31 March 2021 (end date of the project), with possibilities for extension close cooperation with existing research infrastructures.
Paris School of Economics
Paris School of Economics (PSE) is a French research institute of international standing at the forefront of various economic domains. It currently comprises of more than 140 faculty members, 200 master students and 180 PhD students in residence. The School is engaged in a novel project to participate in both the elaboration of sophisticated tools of economic analysis as well as their application to policy within both the public and private domains. Research at PSE covers an exceptionally wide range of themes, including macroeconomic and financial processes, international trade, work and employment, game theory, development economics, decision theory, health, economic history, and the economics of happiness.
The EURHISFIRM (“Historical high-quality company-level data for Europe”) project
The EURHISFIRM European project received a 3,4 million EUR financing from the European Commission through the « H2020-INFRADEV-2017-1 » research infrastructures call (https://eurhisfirm.eu/ and https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/777489).
This three-year project combines the expertise of 11 research institutions spread across seven European countries to design a world-class research infrastructure to connect, collect, collate, align, and share detailed, reliable and documented long-run company-level data for Europe to enable researchers, policymakers and other stakeholders to analyse, develop, and evaluate effective strategies to promote investment and economic growth. To achieve this goal, EURHISFIRM is developing innovative tools to spark a “Big data” revolution in the historical social sciences and to open access to cultural heritage in close cooperation with existing research
The post-doctoral fellow will work within the project’s scientific team made of researchers in economics, history, management, social sciences, and computer science. He/She will work on (1) development of software for data extraction, enrichment and management in cooperation with IT scholars ; enrichment and harmonization of databases in cooperation with both IT and economic history scholars ; (2) their exploitation of data for research with the scientific team of the EURHISFIRM project according to his/her scientific interests (history and sociology of statistics, political economy of banking regulation, economic effects of banking crises, etc.). The post-doctoral fellow is expected to contribute to the building of a collective expertise on and tools for data-driven historical research and digital history and to the coordination of the project as well. The candidate will benefit from the interactions with the EURHISFIRM consortium (specialized in building financial history databases) and the PSE economic history group. We welcome candidates interested in financial and banking history and financial statistics, regardless of discipline.
- Participation in the design of the EURHISFIRM database and data warehouse
- Analysis of archival sources
- Research on data semantics
- Collaboration with the EURHISFIRM IT team in charge of developing IT tools on data collection and connection, and with the project manager
- Contribution to the elaboration of the data management plan
- Contribution to the project’s outputs through publications of research papers
- Participation in the project’s events (consortium meetings, workshops, etc.)
- Dissemination of the project’s results through conferences, seminars and other scientific events.
Technical competencies :
- PhD on EURHISFIRM-related topics
- Knowledge in historical data
- Technical background, with understanding or hands-on experience in data management, databases of historical data, and data warehouses
- Technical background in digital social sciences
- Experience in archival work.
- Professional competencies
Professional competencies :
- Work experience in collaborative environments with remote teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Solid organisational skills and ability to meet deadlines, including attention to detail and multitasking skills
- Fluent in English, both written and verbal (knowledge of French is highly desirable ; other European languages are appreciated)
- Work experience in research projects would be a plus.
Interested candidates should contact Lana Yoo via email at Lana.Yoo psemail.eu with the following documents :
- Cover letter
- Reference letters are appreciated