ORGANISATION INDUSTRIELLE - Economie appliquée des Plateformes
Coming soon - Everything you need to know about the 2019 Industrial Organization programme will be in the dedicated brochure (courses objectives, topics, structure and references). However, overview, prequisites and Professors are updated and available below.
- You wish to receive the brochure as soon as it is released ? Do you have any questions regarding this programme ? summer-school psemail.eu
From June 17 to June 21, 2019
In a two-sided market, two groups interact through an intermediary, or platform, that accounts for the externalities between the groups. Two-sided networks can be found in many industries, including search engines or communication networks such as the media and the internet. This program will focus on these industries, and propose a discussion on two important issues that are currently discussed in the economic literature :
Media platforms and advertising
In the media context, the platform is the broadcast company and the two interacting groups are advertisers and viewers. Advertisers like more viewers to receive their messages. Viewers though find advertising a nuisance insofar as it detracts from time available to watch a program. A central question in the ongoing debate about the changing media landscape is how competitive forces shape advertising levels and revenues and, hence, assist in achieving a number of important public interest goals, such as enhancing entry and diversity of content.
Search : Platform design
Search frictions play an important role in retail markets and help explain how retailers manage to maintain positive markups even when they compete to sell almost identical goods. In online commerce, the physical costs of search are much lower than in traditional offline settings : Consumers shopping online can use either price search engines or compare prices at e-commerce marketplaces, or internet platforms. On the one hand, these platforms attempt to limit search frictions and provide consumers with transparent and low prices. On the other hand, many retailers would like to differentiate their products to limit price competition. These often conflicting incentives highlight the important role of the platform design, which structures online search in a way that affects consumer search and seller incentives at the same time.
The program aims at discussing the main theoretical insights suggested by the economic literature and proposing several empirical tests using real case examples that involve important actors such as radio and television broadcasters, eBay, Google, or Real estate platforms.
Students are assumed to have good knowledge of Game Theory, Microeconomics and Econometrics (Master level or very good undergraduate level). Each professor has additional pre-requisites in each course description.
- Bernard Caillaud is Professor at the PSE and Ingénieur des Ponts et Chaussées at Ecole Nationale des Ponts et Chaussées. His recent research in Industrial Organization addresses issues related to the development of the digital economy : the economics of platforms, price discrimination and personal data, the economics of intellectual property. His work with Bruno Jullien is among the first published papers on platforms. https://www.parisschoolofeconomics.eu/en/caillaud-bernard/
- Philippe Gagnepain is Professor at the PSE and at Université de Paris 1. He does research on empirical aspects of firms strategies. He recently published a paper with David Martimort in the AER on the empirical aspects of contracts in the urban transport industry. https://www.parisschoolofeconomics.eu/en/gagnepain-philippe/
- Angelo Secchi is Professor of Economics at Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne and at Paris School of Economics. His research covers industrial dynamics, international trade, economic geography and applied econometrics and it has been published in several peer-reviewed international journals. https://www.parisschoolofeconomics.eu/en/secchi-angelo/
Programme Supervisors : Philippe Gagnepain and Jean-Philippe Tropéano
- Participant profiles, Fees, application file and deadline... How to apply ?
- (archives) The complete 2018 brochure is available in pdf (114 pages, 16 Mo)
- You’ve chosen this programme and you want to apply ? Go directly to the website www.pse-application.eu
- Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us directly : summer-school psemail.eu