European Tax Observatory (EU TAX)
The European Tax Observatory was created in March 2021 at the Paris School of Economics, thanks to funding from the European Union (n°TAXUD/2020/DE/326). Under the direction of Gabriel Zucman, the EU Tax Observatory is hosted at PSE and aims to conduct and disseminate innovative and high quality scientific research on EU taxation, as well as to stimulate exchanges between the scientific community, civil society and policy makers.
- June 1, 2021: download the EU Tax report “Collecting the Tax Deficit of Multinational Companies: Simulations for the European Union”
- June 1, 2021: go to the new website www.taxobservatory.eu
- June 1, 2021 (11 am): on line Press conference - to know more, click here
- March 1, 2021: download the pdf version of the press release announcing the creation of the EUTAX
- 1 mars 2021 : télécharger la version française pdf de ce communiqué de presse
The Observatory’s mission is to conduct and disseminate innovative, high quality research into taxation within the European Union. Created and hosted by PSE, it aims to stimulate exchange among the scientific community, civil society and political decision makers in member States and across the EU region. The Observatory intends to encourage democratic and inclusive debate on the future of taxation in the EU (in particular, company tax). Its goals also include participating in the development of new practical propositions that can meet the fiscal challenges that globalisation poses for each member state and the EU itself, particularly in relation to tax evasion and fraud.
A broad and diverse eco-system
At PSE, the European Tax Observatory will bring together European universities (including the University of Copenhagen), civil society organisations (including the Human Act Foundation), research centres (including the Deutsches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung of Berlin), as well as individuals of renown, including economists, lawyers and journalists…
Gabriel Zucman, a world expert in taxation
The European Tax Observatory is headed by Gabriel Zucman, Professor in Economics at the University of California, Berkeley, former student of the ENS Paris-Saclay, of the APE Masters (2008) and who defended his thesis at PSE (2013). First Assistant Professor at the LSE, he was recruited by Berkeley in 2015. He is also co-director of the World Inequality Lab (PSE/Berkeley). Gabriel Zucman has published in the best international scientific journals, and is author of three books, including The Hidden Wealth of Nations and The Triumph of Injustice which have had an international impact. He has won the 2018 Best Young Economist award by Le Monde and the Cercle des économistes, the Bernácer prize in 2019, an Excellence Award in Global Economic Affairs by the Kiel Institute for the World Economy in 2017, and a prestigious fellowship at the Sloan Foundation in 2019.
The EUTO team
- Director: Gabriel Zucman - gabriel.zucman psemail.eu
- Partnership Director: Léo Tamayo - leo.tamayo psemail.eu
- Communication Director: Anne-Priscille Desbarres - anne-priscille.desbarres psemail.eu
- Scientific Director: Panayiotis Nicolaides - panayiotis.nicolaides psemail.eu
- Communication Officer: Friederike Jaich - friederike.jaich psemail.eu
- Research Assistant: Eloi Flamant - eloi.flamant psemail.eu
- Intern: Paul-Emmanuel Chouc - paul-emmanuel.chouc psemail.eu